STRENGTHENING OUR BLUE HEN NATION
Financial contributions are not the only measure of success for Delaware First: The Campaign for the University of Delaware. It’s about bringing people together–alumni, parents, friends, faculty, staff, students–to advance the institution that has brought so much to their lives.
Becoming engaged with UD is a win-win. For those who invest, their return is one of reconnection, networking and deep reward, as they become more connected to the vast UD community. In turn, the University benefits by harnessing the collective knowledge, skills and talents of our supporters, sharing this energy with our students and faculty.
We strive to engage all Blue Hens in the Delaware First attitude, to join us in the movement forward. Specifically, we seek to raise our sights to the following levels:
- Ambassadors: We will recruit 1,000 new ambassadors in the final three years of the Campaign. Through board roles, volunteering, advising and more, they will share their time and expertise with our students, faculty and alumni, greatly enhancing their experiences and creating new opportunities for them.
- Delaware Diamonds Society Donors: We will increase to 5,500 annual donors giving at the leadership level by June 2020. Delaware Diamonds Society recognizes those whose level of commitment provides ongoing support for our students, faculty, athletics and more.
- Carillon Circle Members: We will recruit 300 new Carillon Circle members—those who, through their estates, leave a planned legacy gift to benefit UD. This forward-thinking investment provides funding for the initiatives of tomorrow.
- Contributors: We will inspire 100,000 individuals to become annual donors over the life of the Campaign. By increasing the number of Blue Hens that support UD, we are better able to meet the growing needs of our students and fund the essential initiatives that shape the University’s future.
A vibrant, engaged community of alumni, friends, parents, faculty and staff is vital to helping our students succeed and our alumni achieve even greater heights. Shared advice, experience, skills and words of wisdom can make all the difference in a student or alum’s personal and professional journey. In turn, ambassadors can enjoy new professional connections and renewed relationships with other Blue Hens.
The following are meaningful ways you can share your time and talent.
- Hire A Hen: Help your fellow Blue Hens advance professionally by hiring students, recent graduates and other alumni for jobs and internships.
- UD Career Advising Network (UD CAN): Become a career advisor for current students and alumni, sharing advice on professional paths, giving feedback on resumes, practicing interviews and more.
- UD Virtual Networking Events: Log on and participate in speed networking sessions to help yourself and other Blue Hens with common professional interests.
- Student-Athlete Internships: Provide traditional and short-term, project-based internships to help ensure all student-athletes graduate with professional experiences that will help launch them into employment or graduate school.
- Job Shadowing: Bring a UD student to your workplace, giving them a glimpse into the day-to-day of a professional in your career.
- College Programs: Help guide current students by becoming a mentor with one of the many college-specific programs on campus, including areas like Lerner’s Executive Mentors Scholars, art history, student affairs, law, affinity groups and more.
Reconnect with Blue Hens:
- Regional & Affinity Events: Attend UD events held in your area such as Conversations & Connections, presidential visits, networking events, community service projects, sports outings and more. You can also find affinity group events in your area, like events hosted by the Men’s Crew, Marching Band, Black Alumni Organization and more.
- Campus Events: Return to campus for events like Homecoming and Alumni Weekend to take a walk down memory lane, see what’s new and reconnect with your UD family.
- Reunions: Serve as a Reunion Ambassador during your class year reunion to help plan the fun and reconnect with former classmates.