ATHLETICS: BUILDING OUR HOME
Athletics is the front porch of our University and a key priority for Delaware First: The Campaign for the University of Delaware. Our teams work hard every day to achieve a common goal; this is our moment to join together in support of them and realize something greater than could ever be accomplished alone.
We embarked on a bold $60 million project to Build Our Home, renovating Delaware Stadium and building a brand new, state-of-the-art Athletic Center for our student-athletes. Creating the spaces needed to welcome the Blue Hens of today and tomorrow – spaces where we prepare leaders and build champions. This project will truly define what it means to be a Blue Hen and put Delaware First. Watch this video and this one for more on how we are transforming UD Athletics.
Many donors have already shown support for the projects, including Board of Trustees member Kenneth C. Whitney ’80 and, his wife, Elizabeth K. Whitney who made a milestone gift of $10 million to name the Athletic Center. We are grateful for the Whitneys’ generosity and the many others who have shown support, but more still must be done to make the vision for the projects a reality.
This is our moment.
Now that we have raised 95% of our goal, with $3 million left to go, the project is becoming a reality as construction is underway.
Support UD Student-Athletes
“The projects will add great value to the University and showcase the commitment to the future of Athletics at UD.”
-Coach Rocco, Football
THE WHITNEY ATHLETIC CENTER
As an integrated hub for training and academics, this one-stop shop will build incredible efficiencies for our student-athletes in managing their time, while bringing focus to the development of the whole person. It’s a cutting-edge facility, but more than that, it’s a necessity in our work to prepare our student-athletes for life after college.
Highlights among these areas include:
- Integrated space for academic support, career preparation and leadership development
- Computer lab that will considerably increase our current number of computers
- Academic lounge for all student-athletes to build community and inter-team bonding
- Multipurpose rooms to bring in guest lecturers and host press conferences
- Career preparation rooms for mock interviews, résumé workshops and to connect employers to our student-athletes
Health & Well-being
- 10,000-square-foot strength & conditioning space to accommodate multiple teams at one time
- Enhanced athletic training space with satellite area for Physical Therapy partnership
- Grab-and-go healthy food, hand selected by our nutritionist
- Sports Psychology areas to provide mental health resources through private consultations, team workshops and integrated athlete educational sessions
DELAWARE STADIUM RENOVATIONS
Every ticketholder, every supporter and every fan is a member of this Blue Hens Family – and it’s unlike anywhere else. Since the first game was held in Delaware Stadium in 1952, this iconic field has seen amazing moments and created countless memories. Our proud history deserves this moment to bring back the competitive advantage that exists when our Fightin’ Blue Hens feel the energy and roar of the crowd in the stands.
Phase 1 will focus on the west side of the stadium first and will include:
- Chair backs added to the three middle sections on the west side
- New Stadium Club space with bar, food and access to exclusive Club seating
- Enhanced press box for game day production staff, coach viewing and media coverage
- Upgraded restrooms and concessions to improve the fan experience
The first phase of renovations will create a venue that serves UD and the extended community 365 days a year while creating an electric game day atmosphere and countless future victories. This ambitious renovation is our top priority, our future and our home.
PRESIDENTIAL MATCHING INITIATIVE
The University of Delaware, under the leadership of the Board of Trustees and President Assanis, has made a significant investment in our Athletic Facilities through the Presidential Matching Initiative to help Build our Home.
All new gifts between $50,000 and $1 million will be matched at one hundred percent (1:1).
|Donor Gift Amount||Recognition Level||Naming Opportunities|
|$50K||$100K||Recognition Wall in Delaware Stadium|
|$150K||$300K||Recognition Wall in Delaware Stadium + An Exclusive Area: Offices, Meeting Rooms, etc.|
|$500K||$1M||Recognition Wall in Delaware Stadium + An Exclusive Area: Lobbies, Auditorium, Unit Areas, etc.|
To learn more about your options for leaving your mark on the new facilities, contact the Athletic Development Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 302.831.8499.